News from ACTRIMS Forum 2016
More than 500 leading MS neurologists, neuroscientists, and researchers met in New Orleans from February 18-20, 2016 for the inaugural Americas Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ACTRIMS) Forum to learn and discuss the latest discoveries in the pathogenesis and management of progressive MS.
The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Center interviewed several prominent MS experts during the ACTRIMS Forum. Dr. Benjamin Segal (University of Michigan) introduced the overall agenda for the forum. Dr. Mark Freedman (University of Ottawa) discussed highlights from his work with interferon-beta and also discussed data from the ORATORIO trial in patients with primary progressive MS that was presented at the meeting. Dr. Ari Green (University of California, San Francisco) discussed the importance of the visual system in patients with MS, and potential therapeutics that target the visual system. Dr. Samuel Ludwin discussed overall highlights from the ACTRIMS Forum, mitochondrial abnormalities in patients with MS, cytokine dysregulation, and the importance of inflammation in disease progression.
Additionally, brief highlights from selected sessions are also available:
- Useful MRI Outcome Measure in Progressive MS Clinical Trials
- Degree of Meningeal Inflammation and Cortical Pathology May be a Useful Tool to Stratify Early Progressive MS Patients
- Progress Made in Developing Treatments for Progressive MS in Recently Completed MS Trials
- Stem Cell Transplantation for the Treatment of MS
- Axonopathy, Mitochondrial Abnormalities, and Disability in MS
Assessing the impact of multiple sclerosis disease activity and daclizumab HYP treatment on patient-reported outcomes: Results from the SELECT trial
Glenn Phillips, Shien Guo, Randall Bender, Eva Havrdová, Irina Proskorovsky, Timothy Vollmer
Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders, March 2016, Pages 66 - 72
Long-term efficacy and safety of intramuscular interferon beta-1a: Randomized postmarketing trial of two dosing regimens in Japanese patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis
Takahiko Saida, Jun-ichi Kira, Yasuhiro Ueno, Naozumi Harada, Toshiyuki Hirakata
Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders, May 2016, Pages 102 - 108
Long-term impact of interferon or Glatiramer acetate in multiple sclerosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Alessio Signori, Fabio Gallo, Francesca Bovis, Nicolò Di Tullio, Ilaria Maietta, Maria Pia Sormani
Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders, March 2016, Pages 57 - 63
Oral fingolimod in primary progressive multiple sclerosis (INFORMS): a phase 3, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
Fred Lublin, David H Miller, Mark S Freedman, Bruce A C Cree, Jerry S Wolinsky, Howard Weiner, Catherine Lubetzki, Hans-Peter Hartung, Xavier Montalban, Bernard M J Uitdehaag, Martin Merschhemke, Bingbing Li, Norman Putzki, Fonda C Liu, Dieter A HäringThe Lancet, Volume 387, Issue 10023, 12–18 March 2016, Pages 1075–1084
Multiple sclerosis and fatigue: A review on the contribution of inflammation and immune-mediated neurodegeneration
Robert Patejdl, Iris K. Penner, Thomas K. Noack, Uwe K. Zettl
Autoimmunity Reviews, Volume 15, Issue 3, March 2016, Pages 210 - 220
About the Editors
- Timothy Vartanian, Professor at the Brain and Mind Research Institute and the Department of Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell...
- Claire S. Riley, MD is an assistant attending neurologist and assistant professor of neurology in the Neurological Institute, Columbia University,...
- Rebecca Farber, MD is a Multiple Sclerosis fellow at The Corinne Goldsmith Dickinson Center for MS at Mount Sinai Hospital,...
- May 201610May 201613
From Science to SocietyPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania, USAPhiladelphia, PAUnited StatesPresenting the latest developments in neurorehabilitation and associated fields, the 9th World Congress for NeuroRehabilitation (WCNR 2016) is the major...
- May 201615May 201620Lucca, ItalyWhat is a GRS? Gordon Research Seminars (GRS) are a series of unique 2-day meetings held in conjunction with an...Via Giovanni Pascoli55051 Barga LUItaly
- May 201628May 201631Copenhagen, DenmarkThe European Academy of Neurology (EAN) is the joint subsequent organisation of the EFNS (European Federation of Neurological Societies) and...Center Boulevard 52300 CopenhagenDenmark